Friday, September 5, 2014

Walking Tour: Montmartre

Last year when we arrived in Paris I got an email from another mom at school saying they had room on their walking tour.  It looked like so much fun, but with a big belly and Garrett still home with me every day it just wasn't possible.  
At the end of last year, when we had our feet under us and I felt more comfortable arranging childcare options I jumped at the chance to be on a walking tour.  The tours are arranged by different experts, you meet about twice a month in different parts of the city and walk around with your guide while they tell you all kinds of fun historical information.

My first tour was this week and it was everything I hoped it would be.  I am not going to try and write out the tour here, my guide Dr. Kelly gave us so much information, but I would like to share some of the photos from a morning in Montmartre.

We started at the Abbesses metro stop.  Note to self this exit has the most stairs of any metro station in Paris.  The stairs are worth taking for the beautiful tiles and murals on the walls.

I took this picture so I could remember to get back to this shop, it looked like lots of fun!


I love random French buildings like this.  These streets have changed so much over the years.


It was a very hazy day, but you could just make out the golden dome of Les Invalides to the right.


This couple sat down at a cafe with their photographer.


This accordion player definitely added to the ambiance.


A Wallace well tucked in among the trees.


I love this street.


This is the only remaining section of a group of studios that once housed Pablo Picasso.


These types of homes were built as country homes for people to escape from Paris, back before Montmartre was a part of Paris.


This woman was getting on a motorcycle with another person.  I loved these shoes.


At the top of the 'mountain' you can just see the dome of the Sacre Coeur.


This is the church that sits just behind the Sacre Coeur.  This church dates back to 1240, making it older than Notre Dame.  


This is a column inside the church.  It was taken from a Roman temple that stood on this site originally.  This is old!


Back outside with another great view.


It was a little overwhelming with great views in every direction.  This is looking off to the North of Paris.


This is part of the Museum of Montmartre.  Renoir lived and worked here for a time in his life.


The old buildings really are stunning.


This house just looked so French.


As we stood at this spot I had a feeling of deja vu.  I realized that when I came to Paris in January of 2013 I stood in the snow and took a picture in this exact spot.  


And then it was off to the metro and a quick train ride home to Malachi.  He spent his first morning with a sitter and had a great time. 

Bonne Journee

Sharing with 

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine Montmartre once being out in the country away from Paris. We didn't have a chance to visit here during our own Paris trip. You are so fortunate to have time to explore the city at your leisure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to think about how much Paris has changed over the years. Montmartre is one of our favorite parts of the city, we love being able to stop by for a visit. We know how lucky we are.

      Delete