Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Another Grocery Shopping Trip

We are all moved into our house here in Oslo and things have slowed down just a little bit.  Now we are getting settled in a little bit more and I have been trying to keep our family fed.  We have a nice grocery store only 1 kilometer from our house.  I have been several times and I am finally learning my way around.  This was my big trip the other day.    
I knew that coming to Norway we were going to spend a lot on groceries.  Food is pretty expensive here and we have been buying a lot of familiar foods that are more pricey.  I am thankful that we are able to get these familiar foods, but we are definitely paying for them.  This shopping trip I bought "American Style Pancake Mix" and Aunt Jemima Syrup.  They were over $10 each!  A small block of "Engelsk Cheddar" cheese for over $10 too.  Right now it is worth it for all of us to have something that is a little familiar.  
I have already cooked one salmon dinner and I am so thankful that my kids already know and like salmon.  I see a lot more of that in our future.



I had learned some Norwegian before moving here, but really I hadn't spend much time focused on the language.  When I was here in June it seemed like everyone that I encountered spoke English.  Everyone has been helpful since we have moved here, but there is not the same level of fluency.  The other problem is at the grocery store, almost none of the packaging has English on it.  I had to get the google translation page up so I could fix the hot cocoa the kids had asked me to buy.  So I have decided to really try and learn Norwegian.  We will see how it goes.  I did get a quick lesson from our postman today.  Her name is Eva and she is from Sweden.  She is really nice and I think she will be a lot of fun to get to know.

Today we had to make another grocery run, this time I got to take all three kiddos with me.  To make even more interesting it was raining this morning when we needed to go.  The kiddos were really excited to wear their rain jackets.  Garrett got really upset when I didn't have boots for him to wear.  He does have snow boots, but we are ready to break those out just yet.  
At the grocery store Addie and Ben both pushed a little cart and followed behind me like little ducks.  It would have been a great trip, but Garrett was mad that he couldn't push his own cart so he screamed his way through the store.  We survived our trip and I think we have enough food in the house so that we don't have to go to the grocery store tomorrow.

And here is Gare Bear after he finished his post nap time yogurt today.
We went for a walk tonight after dinner and explored our neighborhood a little bit. We are really enjoying our little house and the sandbox is a HUGE hit with our kids.  I have rearranged several rooms in the house so I will be taking new pictures soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment